For the past decade, Deepak Chopra, M.D. has been at the forefront of a major trend in holistic healing. Since the early 1980’s Chopra has successfully combined his impeccable credentials as a practicing endocrinologist with his exploration of mind/body medicine. By doing so, he has dramatically influenced many in traditional medical circles and helped bring the enormous benefits of holistic medicine to the general public’s attention.
Chopra created a paradigm for exploring the healing process – a model he calls Quantum Healing. He recalls, “As doctors we are taught to prescribe tranquilizers for people who are feeling anxious to promote tranquility. We give sleeping pills to people with insomnia. Quantum Healing looks past all the wonder drugs and modern technology to a natural way of healing which speaks to an integration of mind and body.”
Rather than turn his back on his conventional training, he extended his practice to bring together the best of ancient wisdom and modern science. In 1984, he helped to introduce Ayurvedic medicine to the United States, and within a year he established an Ayurvedic Health Centre of Stress Management and Behavioral Medicine in Lancaster, Massachusetts. He was also the founding President of the American Association of Ayurvedic Medicine.
Since that time, he has emerged as one of the world’s leading proponents of this innovative combination of Eastern and Western healing.
Chopra teaches a lifestyle that includes meditation, yoga, mindfulness in daily life, proper nutrition based on whole foods, detoxing through fasting, enemas, and massage, and abstinence from drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and junk food. He teaches methods of healing that include both physical treatments and mental techniques such as focusing attention on the area of pain.
Chopra’s “Ten Keys to Happiness” are:
- Listen to your body’s wisdom.
- Live in the present, for it is the only moment you have.
- Take time to be silent, to meditate.
- Relinquish your need for external approval.
- When you find yourself reacting with anger or opposition to any person or circumstance, realize that you are only struggling with yourself.
- Know that the world “out there” reflects your reality “in here.”
- Shed the burden of judgement.
- Don’t contaminate your body with toxins, either food, drink, or toxic emotions.
- Replace fear-motivated behavior with love-motivated behavior.
- Understand that the physical world is just a mirror of a deeper intelligence.
The Law of Least Effort
The Law of Least Effort: Nature’s intelligence functions with effortless ease, with carefreeness, harmony, and love. And when we harness the forces of harmony, joy, and love, we create success and good fortune with effortless ease.
I will put the Law of Least Effort into effect by making a commitment to take the following steps:
1. I will practice acceptance. Today I will accept people, situations, circumstances, and events as they occur. I will know that this moment is as it should be, because the whole universe is as it should be. I will not struggle against the whole universe by struggling against this moment. My acceptance is total and complete. I accept things as they are this moment, not as I wish they were.
2. Having accepted things as they are, I will take responsibility for my situation and for all those events I see as problems. I know that taking responsibility means not blaming anyone or anything for my situation (and this includes myself.) I also know that every problem is an opportunity in disguise, and this alertness to opportunities allows me to take this moment and transform it into a greater benefit.
3. Today my awareness will remain established in Defenselessness. I will relinquish the need to defend my point of view. I will feel no need to defend my point of view. I will feel no need to convince or persuade others to accept my point of view. I will remain open to all points of view and not be rigidly attached to any one of them.
Help Support These Teachings
If you enjoyed Featured Teacher: Deepak Chopra, please support our efforts to continue making teachings from Ram Dass and friends accessible to all. As Ram Dass says, "When you see the beloved all around you, everyone is family and everywhere is love." Learn more >
LSRF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Contributions are tax deductible as allowed by law.