Merwan Sheriar Irani, was born in Poona, India, on February 25, 1894, of Persian parents. In 1913 while still in college, Merwan experienced a momentous event . . . a meeting with Hazrat Babajan, an ancient Muslim woman and one of the five Perfect Masters of the Age. Babajan gave him God-Realization and made him aware of his high spiritual destiny.
Eventually, he was drawn to seek out Upasni Maharaj, and during the next seven years, Maharaj gave Merwan “gnosis” or divine knowledge. His spiritual mission began in 1921 when he drew together his first close disciples. It was these early disciples who gave him the name Meher Baba, which means “Compassionate Father.”
After years of intensive training of his disciples, Meher Baba established a colony near Ahmednagar that is called Meherabad. Here, the Master’s work embraced a free school, a free hospital and dispensary, and shelters for the poor. No distinction was made between the high castes and the untouchables; all mingled in common fellowship through the inspiration of the Master. To his disciples at Meherabad, who were of different castes and creeds, he gave a training of moral discipline, love for God, spiritual understanding and selfless service.
Meher Baba told his disciples that from July 10, 1925 he would observe Silence. He maintained this Silence until the end of his life on January 31, 1969. His many spiritual discourses and messages were dictated by means of an alphabet board.
Meher Baba’s teaching gives no importance to creed, dogma, caste or the performance of religious ceremonies and rites, but to following Realities:
- The only Real Existence is that of the One and only God Who is the Self in every (finite) self.
- The only Real Love is the Love for this Infinity (God), which arouses an intense longing to see, know and become one with its Truth (God).
- The only Real Sacrifice is that in which, in pursuance of this Love, all things—body, mind, position, welfare and even life itself—are sacrificed.
- The only Real Renunciation is that which abandons, even in the midst of worldly duties, all selfish thoughts and desires.
- The only Real Knowledge is the Knowledge that God is the inner dweller in good people and in so-called bad, in saint and in so-called sinner. This Knowledge requires you to help all equally as circumstances demand without expectation of reward, and when compelled to take part in a dispute, to act without the slightest trace of enmity or hatred.
Watch Now: Based on the ground-breaking 1955 book, “God Speaks,” The Theme of Creation is a comprehensive exploration of creation and evolution as revealed by the Indian Spiritual Master, Avatar Meher Baba.
Via footage shot in both India and America, the film traces the journey of the soul from its unconscious origin through to human form and on to God-Realization.
Book to Hang Out With: God Speaks by Meher Baba
God Speaks is Meher Baba’s most complete statement of the process of Creation and its purpose. This recent reprinting maintains the contents of the 1973 revised edition while presenting the material in a new style. A contemporary format makes the work attractive and easier to read for today’s audiences.
God Speaks incorporates all of life into a spiritual saga. The only protagonist is God, and his story encompasses all individual biographies. It is God himself who becomes the three basic processes for the growth and transformation of consciousness: evolution, reincarnation and involution (the spiritual path of return to Himself).